Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Have You Flapped Your Jack* Today?

· In Canada, the United States, and South Africa, flapjack is another term for a thin pancake that is not only crispy, but slightly chewy as well. A largely defining attribute of a flapjack is its large diameter, commonly measuring 12" (30 cm) or more.

Today is Shrove Tuesday* (pancake day), yum!! I will indulge any holiday that includes food … especially PANCAKES!


One of my co-workers, Danny (you may remember him from this post) brought all the ingredients to work for making pancakes from scratch … YES, I said SCRATCH! At lunchtime Danny went to work in the kitchen making tones of pancakes. Of course, once the aroma of pancakes wafted throughout the office the taste-testers began to arrive. We were treated to apple cinnamon pancakes and real maple syrup.

Thanks for the tasty treat for lunch today Dan!

After I left work I came home to make some more pancakes, lol!! Guess I just couldn’t get enough!

*Shrove Tuesday Traditions
Among Anglicans, Lutherans and other Protestant denominations, and among cultures in Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and New Brunswick, this day is also known as Pancake Tuesday, as it is customary to eat pancakes on this day.
Pancakes and doughnuts are associated with the day preceding Lent because they were a way to use up rich foodstuffs such as eggs, milk, and sugar, before the fasting season of the 40 days of Lent. The liturgical fasting emphasized eating plainer food and refraining from food that would give pleasure: In many cultures, this means no meat, dairy, or eggs.



Here is a good recipe for some Good Old Fashioned Pancakes.



INGREDIENTS
· 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (sifted)
· 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
· 1 teaspoon salt
· 1 tablespoon white sugar
· 1 1/4 cups milk (room temp.)
· 1 egg (room temp.)
· 3 tablespoons butter, melted (unsalted)
·
DIRECTIONS
1. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Make a well in the center and pour in the milk, egg and melted butter; mix until smooth.
2. Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides and serve hot. Enjoy!

5 comments:

redmaryjanes said...

I LOVE pancakes, I had no idea there was a pancake day.

kerri said...

Thanks for the recipe, how easy are they! May just stop buying the mix!
Are you going to watch "The week the women left tonight.I just LOVE that show, those men are unreal, hehe...

Deb said...

So was waffles cheating!
thanks for the recipe...making me hungry!

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

Oh... I forgot all about Pancake Tuesday... I was home too... bummer... I would have made some... I am sure I can have a belated one...

Alyson and Ford said...

Yummy... I am going to talk SAHD (DH) into making these this week (easy meal planning on my part!!) Thanks!

Alyzabeth's Mommy